2. Platt Shaft and Headgear
Immediately to the east of the Institute shaft at Chatterley Whitfield are the headgear and winding house (see separate entry) of the Platt shaft which was developed in the early 1880s to replace the destroyed Laura shaft. This created the Platt Pit, which operated from 1882 to 1977. By 1930, the 16ft-wide shaft served as an upcast (where ventilated air returns to the surface) 440 yards deep for the newer Hesketh and Institute shafts, but still contained a two-deck cage. Heritage Status: Scheduled Ancient Monument Image credits: Halfmonkey, 10.07.2014, GNU Free Documentation License.