15. Mechanical and Electrical Fitters Shop

Mechanical and Electrical Fitters Shop

The electrical and mechanical fitting shop at Chatterley Whitfield colliery was constructed c. 1935 with subsequent alteration to a mining car repair shop. It is of steel frame construction with with single-skin infill panels. The framework is expressed externally as a rectangular grid pattern. When the site ceased production of coal in 1976-77, the buildings at Chatterley Whitfield were utilised by the Coal Board for non-mining activities until March 1989, and during this time, this building operated as a museum locomotive repair shop. Listed: Grade II.